One of the most difficult things about getting a new horse is finding the perfect name. This is especially true for those who have an idea of what they would like the name to be but just can’t come up with any they truly love.
One popular option for horse names is those in French. If you are looking for some great French horse names, then you are in the right place.
Do you love horses? We do, and that’s why we feel it is important for anyone who loves their horse or horses to have the opportunity to give them great names.
You may choose strong, sleek names for the males, beautiful heroin names for the females, sweet cutsie names, or those from famous artists and historical figures.
Whatever your preference, if you are looking for a good name for a horse, we have you covered.
We have compiled a list of 120 French names that would be perfect for just about any horse especially those with French origins.
Lets dive in.
20 Male French Horse Names
If you have a beautiful stallion and want to give him a firm, unique name, here is an excellent list of 20 french names for a male horse.
- Gabriel– Man of God
- Arthur– Bear or king
- Alexandre-Defender of Man
- Victor– Conquerer
- Jules– Youthful
- Lucas– Light or man from Lucania
- Antoine– praise-worthy
- Henri Matisse– Famous french painter
- Sacha– Defending warrior
- Noah– Peaceful or wanderer
- Liam– Resolute protector
- Adrien– Dark
- Axel– My father is peace
- Enzo– Happiness or bliss
- Basil– Regal
- Charles– A free man
- Mathis– Gift of God
- Theo– a gift of god
- Felix– Happy
- Flan: a caramel custard dessert
Female French Horse Names
If you are looking for a pretty name for a gorgeous mare, the French language will not disappoint.
Here is a list of 20 female horse names derived from the most romantic country in the world.
- Camille– Young ceramonial attendent
- Madeleine– Woman from a high tower
- Petit Noir– Small black drink
- Rosalinde– Beautiful rose
- Olive– Olive tree
- Rachelle– Like a rock
- Rosa– Rose or flower
- Clarisse– Gentle
- Bisou: Kiss
- Peppina– Another name for Josephine
- Mademoiselle– Miss
- Belle– Beauty
- Jolie– Pretty
- Floriane– Flower
- The– Goddess
- Carmel– Garden or Orchard
- Isabelle– Pledge to God
- Sylvie– Forest
- Edwige– Female Worrier
- Faustine– Fortune one
French Horse Show Names
If you plan to enter your horse into horse shows, you will want a unique name that truly stands out and will make you memorable.
Here are 20 French names perfect for show horses.
- Amour– Love
- Maxime– The Greatest
- Augustin– Great
- Aurore– The Dawn
- Estelle– Star
- Oscar– Champion Warrier
- Blanc– The color White
- Lune or Luna– The moon
- Noir– The color Black
- Rouge– The color Red (Perfect for a red roan horse)
- Romain– Citizen of Rome
- Phillipe– Friend of Horse
- Rasse– A lesser civet
- Concorde– Harmoney or Union
- Crème de la Crème– The absolute best
- Hadrien– Enjoy today
- Ulysse– To hate
- Achille– Thin lipped
- Celeste– Heavenly or celestial
Famous French Horse Names
If it is celebrity status you are looking for, we found some of the best names that will steal the show.
Here are 20 great famous French name possibilities for your horse.
- Beau– Beautiful
- Leo– Lion
- Rafael– He has healed
- Raymonde– Protector
- Chérie– Dear
- Marie-Antoinette– Last Queen in France before the Revolution
- Reine– Queen
- Charlotte– Petite
- Giselle– Beautiful like the stars
- Juliette– Young
- Jean– God is gracious
- Fleur de sel– French Sea Salt
- Raoul– Red wolf or Wolf council
- Anne-Sophie– Famous French Chef
- Beatrice– Blessing or bringer of joy
- Celine Dion– Famous Singer
- Coco Chanel– Famous clothing designer
- Baptiste– To dip
- Vadim– To rule
- Esmée– Beloved
Cool French Names For Horses
Do you feel you have the coolest horse in town? If so, he or she will need the perfect name to match the status.
Here are 20 cool French names that are absolutely charming.
- Moussa– Drawn out
- Festin– Destiny, powerful
- Marceau– Little Worrier
- Gustave– Glorious Guest
- Questa– One who seeks
- Chantilly– White
- Elegance– Grace
- Force– Living by a fortress
- Frenchie– From France
- Froufrou– Ostentatious decoration
- Pate a choux– Cabbage Paste
- Cyclone– Tropical storm
- Manon– Bitter
- Astrid– Devinley Beautiful
- Napoleon– Emperor of France in the past
- Blaise– To stutter or have a lisp
- Alize– Noble One
- Dom Pérignon– Famous Monk and Champange
- Monet– A famous artist
- Jacques– Jacob
Cute French Names For Horses
There is nothing cuter than an animal named after a delicious pastry or a cartoon character known for swooning the ladies.
Here are 20 “cute” French names for your adorable horses.
- Milo– Soldier
- Baguette– A breadstick
- Pierre– Stone or rock
- French Toast– Breakfast made from bread dipped in an egg batter
- Mousse– Foam or froth
- Éclair– Flash of lightning
- Cabernet– Varietal of wine
- Merlot– Wine and flowers
- Café– Cafe
- Gaspard– Bringer of treasure
- Hugo– MInd
- Soufflé– A delicious french dish
- Brie– Region of France, type of Cheese
- Truffle– A sweet treat
- Pepé Le Pew– A suave cartoon skunk
- Ratatouille– A French stew
- Crème Brûlée– Custard sprinkled with sugar and slightly burnt
- Biscuit– Bread or dough
- Bronze– a copper and tin metal given in a competition
- Parfait– Perfect
Horse Name Inspiration
If you are looking for inspiration in choosing the perfect name for your horse, consider choosing a name that stands out to a crowd.
Some great examples are as follows:
- A celebrity name
- Something silly
- Deep meaning (Warriors, Gods, Goddess)
- The name of a country, city, or state
- Something that reminds you of your childhood
Inspiration for the perfect horse name can come from just about anywhere. The internet can be your best friend if you know what to look for.
Try googling for precisely what you want (i.e., Strong, independent female names in French.)
Help Choosing The Right Name
Are you looking for help in choosing the right name for your horse?
Here are some suggestions that may help you find what you are looking for.
1. Who Is Your Horse?
Start with his or her color, characteristics, personality. (Blanc-white, Belle-pretty, tête de mule-stubborn.)
It can be fairly easy to pick a great name if you match it with who your horse truly is. The name should fit the horse in every aspect.
2. Watch a Movie
Sometimes the easiest way to name just about anything is through watching movies or television.
If you are looking for a famous French name, grab a few videos based in Paris or London and enjoy a night in; while watching movies and creating a list of your favs.
3. Get Outside Help
If all else fails, you can always use the internet, books about horses, or the opinions of friends and families. There are online name generators designed to combine a few of your favorite names to get something new and unique.
You can also get some great ideas from family and friends who can offer up older names that go back generations throughout your family’s (or their families) history.
4. Test Them Out
It is also a good idea to try each name out for a few days to get a feel for it and make sure it fits. You may notice you don’t like the way it sounds, your horse doesn’t respond well to it, or it simply is not right.
You may notice that even though you love a name, it isn’t right for your particular horse.
There are many French words in the French language, and many of them can make the most fantastic name for any horse. All it takes is some patients, a list of your top favorites, and a few days to really get to know your unique horse inside and out.