Skip To Section
Horse names come from all sorts of different categories. One that makes a lot of sense is the majestic horse names category. Horses are naturally majestic creatures, so it is fitting they have majestic names.
Naming a horse should be about finding the perfect name for your horse, specifically. Choose from both male and female names. Name your horse according to its color. Match the name to the animal.
A horse’s name says a lot about it. It also may share a little about your personality. This article is about choosing the right majestic name for your horse. So, read on for the inspiration you need to find the best name for your equine friend.
Majestic Male Horse Names
Majestic male horse names should convey strength, confidence, and power. Name your male horse with his reputation in mind. You can use his name to help people understand his character.
If you know your male horse is a leader, name him something having to do with authority. Show he is a leader with your choice.
- Forms of King in various languages – Kral, Roi, Regem
Some majestic horse names convey strength and power. If your male horse is bold and known for being brave, choose something to tout that trait. Any of the following fit a strong male horse:
Male Horse Names For Speed
You may have plenty of reasons for wanting to name a horse something that implies he’s fast. Majestic horses move with quickness and grace.
Here are some good options for male horses known for their speed:
Majestic Female Horse Names
Female horses are majestic, too, but in different ways. They’re still strong but also possess grace, beauty, and poise. Majestic female horse names should encompass these traits.
Mares have a lot of strength of their own. Female horses run, work, play, and bear children. Strong female names differ from male names, though.
Here are some examples of strong female horse names:
- Trudy (spear of strength)
- Asta (divine strength)
- Lexi (defender of man)
Female horses show majesty through grace. These animals are graceful by nature. Particularly graceful mares are well-suited for these names:
- Jamilah (graceful or lovely)
- Kimmela (butterfly)
Names For Beauty
Beauty is another part of a female horse’s majestic stature. Many horse names contain something referring to their innate beauty.
Here are some good options:
- Zahra (beautiful and shining)
Cool Majestic Horse Names
Some horse names can go either way. Cool horse names are ideal for a unique horse. If your horse stands out from the crowd, choose a majestic name that’s cool enough to stand out with him.
Here are some cool majestic names that work for any horse breed or gender:
- Alexandrite (gemstone that changes in a different light)
- Hope Diamond
Majestic Names For Show Horses
Show horses need names that are ear-catching and stylish. Horse shows include all different types of horses. A majestic name that stands out from the rest is ideal.
Here are some of the best majestic names for show horses:
Majestic Names For White Horses
Horse lovers often name their horses based on how they look. The color of your horse can inspire you to choose a name. White horses have several fitting options.
Here are a few of them:
Majestic Names For Black Horses
One of the most famous horse names in history is that of a black horse. Black Beauty, from the book of the same name, has a name you don’t forget. Several other fitting options exist for naming black horses, too:
Horse Name Inspiration
You can find inspiration for naming your horse in many places. Maybe history can provide you with some. Many historical figures were known to have their great horse companions.
- Black Jack – An American Quarter horse/Morgan mix that was part of the Caisson Platoon. He was a riderless horse used in hundreds of funerals, including those of Johnson, Kennedy, and Hoover.
- Cincinnati – The horse of Ulysses S. Grant in the Civil War.
- Palomo – Simon Bolivar’s horse during the civil unrest in Latin America.
- Traveller – Robert E. Lee’s horse in the Civil War.
You’ll find plenty of inspiration from the names of racehorses. They are fast, disciplined, and athletic. Racehorse names easily speak to the character of your horse if you choose appropriately.
Here are some of the best:
- Aristides – 1st winner of the Kentucky Derby
- Frankel – Never lost a race
- Huaso – Holds the world high-jump record
- Kingston – Won the most races in history
- Man o’ War – One of the most famous racehorses ever
- Regret – 1st female horse to win the Kentucky Derby
Most of us can name some famous horses we remember seeing in movies or on TV shows. There’s nothing wrong with finding inspiration that comes with a little notoriety attached to it.
These famous horse names make the cut as some of the best:
- Buck – Bonanza
- Scout – Lone Ranger
- Silver – Lone Ranger
- Trigger – Roy Rogers’ favorite horse in his movies
- Bullseye – Toy Story 2 and 3
- Mister Ed – Mister Ed
Plenty of books have been written with horses at the center or in supporting roles. We mentioned Black Beauty above. That’s one of many.
Here’s a look at some other horse names found in various literary works:
- Flicka – My Friend Flicka
- Gunpowder – The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Ichabod Crane’s horse)
- Pilgrim – The Horse Whisperer
- Rocinante – Don Quixote
- Silver Blaze – Sherlock Holmes
Some horses are featured in comic books alongside superheroes and other popular characters. Many majestic names are found in the comics.
Here are some of the horse names found in various comic book adventures:
- Hero – Phantom’s horse
- Comet – Supergirl’s horse
- Nightmare – from Casper the Friendly Ghost
- Hortense – Scrooge McDuck’s horse
Most names from Greek or other mythology are majestic sounding. Horse names are no exception. You will find inspiration reading through the stories of ancient mythology, not the least of which is the inspiration for what to name your horse.
- Arion – Known for speed and the ability to talk
- Centaur – Half horse, half man
- Keshi – A demon in horse form
- Kirin – A unicorn
- Pegasus – A flying horse
- Sterope – Helios’s horse
- Tulpar – A winged horse
Help Choosing The Right Name
Choosing the right name for your horse may seem daunting. It doesn’t have to be, though.
Here are some tips to help you find the right one.
- Keep the name short. You’ll likely end up shortening a longer name anyway. Stick to a one or two-syllable name. They’re easier to use.
- Follow the rules of the registry. Registered names must fit into the parameters set by the registering agency. You aren’t allowed to duplicate a name. If you don’t follow the guidelines, you may have to accept a name given by the registry.
- Funny names are endearing. You don’t have to give your horse a serious name. Some horses have comical personalities. A funny name is fitting for a funny horse.
- You can look to other languages for a fitting majestic horse name. If you like Beauty but think it seems boring, look up “beauty” in other languages. Choose a word that means beauty and doesn’t sound so plain.
- Human names work, too. Do an internet search for popular baby names to help you choose a name for your equine friend.
- Choose a name that matches your horse’s color. Plenty of words are tied to specific colors. For instance, the word “snow” draws up white in your mind. It wouldn’t be fitting to name a black horse Snow.
- You can also choose a name based on what your horse does. If you have a race horse, name him Blazer. If you have a show horse, name her Regal. It’s not fitting to name a racehorse Pokey or a show horse Bumpkin.
There’s no right or wrong choice when it comes to naming your horse. The biggest thing to remember is the name you choose should say something about the horse. Try to select something that matches your horse’s personality.
You can find inspiration for majestic horse names in various places. Look for words in other languages that translate to something descriptive. Find names of famous horses or horses from literary works. Give your horse a name that represents who he is, so the world gets a glimpse of his majestic spirit.
If you’re still looking for more inspiration, check out these awesome lists of horse names!