Skip To Section
Horses are beautiful animals, and they require a name that suits his/her own special personality. A decent place to start for names that are little more than majestic is Greek mythology.
It is packed with awe-inspiring gods and goddesses, titans and monsters, including spirits. The names could range from the color of the magnificent animal to other famous mythical creatures which resemble the characteristics of a noble steed.
Any of these names has a mythological meaning. Take a glance at our lists of mythical horse names and see whether something springs at you as a perfect match for your noble steed.
Let’s dive in.
Best Mythical Horse Names
- Pegasus – An Ancient Greek Mythological Name
- Sleipnir – A Nordish Mythological Character
- Uchchaihshravas – A Hindu Mythological Character
- Al-Buraq – An Islamic Mythical Horse
- Horses Of Apocalypse – Four Christian Mythological Horses
- Widow Maker/Widow Lightening – An American Cowboy Folklore
- Kanthaka – A Buddhist Mythological Horse
- Mares Of Diomedes – Another Ancient Greek Horse
- Tulpar – An Ancient Turkish Mythological Horse
- Chollima – An Asian Mythological Horse
- Euros – Another Greek Mythological God, Carrier Of Zeus
- Konabos – Fire Breathing Steed
- Skylla – Another Greek Mythological Horse, Chariot Drawer Of Poseidon
- Pegasoi – Greek Mythological Horse
- Lampos – Greel Mythological Horse
Male Mythical Horse Names
Here are some mythical names for male horses:
- Bucephalus – Bucephalus was a highly renowned equine in history. His name is most likely a play on the Greek words “bous,” meaning ox, and “kephalos,” meaning head, given the horse’s notorious stubbornness.
- Comanche – Comanche was a mixed-breed horse who survived the Battle of Little Bighorn.
- Pegasus – Pegasus is a white mythical winged horse and one of the most famous creatures in Greek mythology.
- Sargent Reckless – A famous equine that was a highly decorated war horse who served in the United States military.
- Secretariat – Big Red, also known as the Secretariat, was a champion American thoroughbred racehorse that won the United States Triple Crown in 1973.
- Xanthus (A Greek immortal horse)
- Hercules – The Roman name Hercules was derived from the Greek god Heracles. He is famous for his strength and for his far-flung adventures.
Female Mythical Horse Names
Here are some mythical names for female horses:
Famous Mythical Horse Names
Mythical Black Horse Names
Mythical White Horse Names
- Bach Ma
Mythical Giant Horse Names
- Mares Of Diomedes
- Widow Maker
Mythical Sea Horse Names
- Dyaus Pita
Mythical Storm Horse Names
Horse Name Inspiration
A horse names inspiration can be drawn from multiple stories, myths, war, and other examples of the past. A horse is an elegant animal and deserves a name that suits its personality.
Some of the most popular inspiration for a horse name is drawn from immortal mythological creatures that resemble horses. Other popular ideas are Greek gods, war horses, famous horses, etc. Some other popular choices would derive from the color of the horse such as black horse, white horse, or others. Black horse names and white horse names are most popular as they are the widely available color among horses. These categories have been covered above for the same reason. Other popular choices for names are covered below.
Some other popular forms of inspiration include animated characters, especially animated horse characters. This is a popular choice among children and kids. It helps them relate with animated characters and having their own pony named after one is simply adorable. Choose from any of the Disney or Sony Pixar characters like Bambi, Leah. If you have kids at your home and are getting a pony, animated characters should really be a part of your choice of names. Your kids would love the idea.
Some other inspiration would be naming your horse after a war horse or a legendary war hero of the past. Some popular choices that come to mind include Alexander the Great, Hercules, Poseidon among others. This category is also quite popular as it rightly describes the majestic nature of the horses. Some of the most popular horse names include mythical horses as they represent great strength and power due to their depiction in history. Horses of Poseidon are a popular choice. The four horses of Demeiodes is another popular choice as they represent, strength, power, fear, and force.
Help Choosing The Right Name
Although you can give any wonderful name to your white, black or gray horse, a name that corresponds to the color of the horse can be especially meaningful.
A name that is influenced by the color of white may sound like a good match. It will also help make it easy for other individuals in the barn to understand and recall the name of your horse. Plus, there is something really fun about having a name that respects the appearance of your horse.
We will discuss a few concepts for choosing the name for your horse below. These names are just suggestive of the wide scope of options you have when it comes to choosing the name for your horse.
There are a number of popular gray and white horses that you can draw inspiration through. Mysterious Pegasus appeared white, and mythical horses including Gem Twist, Snowman, or Milton will give you many inspirations for your horse’s title. Choose from any of these categories or simply make a category of your own. You can even choose cartoon character names such as Bambi as a name for your beloved horse.
You may also pick other names as been used in literature. Fairy-tales are also filled with a host of characters that resemble a horse. The Choices are endless when it comes to choosing a name for your horse. Other mythical creatures such as winged horses, multi-legged horses, legendary horses are other popular ideas for inspiration.
In conclusion, horses are some of the most fascinating animals to own as pets. They are very friendly and simple magnificent animals to be around. Their names are mostly derived from famous mythological creatures which resemble the magnificence of the creatures.
Owners have the choice of a host of ideas and concepts when it comes to naming a horse. From mythological and imaginative names to mortal names. Examples such as winged horses, Hercules to Alexander the Great, and Black Stallion, options are unlimited.
For a horse owner, it is important to choose a name that best represents their horse. It could be in character, beauty, or color and description. The list as stated above is just some of the many choices in categories for horse names.
There are no definite rules when it comes to naming your horse. At the end of the day, they are your pets and you can choose to name them the way you love the most. Also, personal choice and liking are the major factors in choosing the name for your horse.
If you’re still looking for more inspiration, check out these awesome lists of horse names!